UK regions with trade composting collections for Vegware clients
Here’s the latest list of UK regions with a regular trade waste collection for used Vegware, going to a Vegware-approved facility.
Our waste activism
- In 2012, when our Environmental team started forging links with the waste sector, compostable packaging was only accepted in commercial waste collections in 2% of UK postcode districts.
- We’re just an SME, but we now employ three Recycling Advisors to work proactively with clients and the waste sector, increasing the regions where our clients can have used Vegware collected. Read some of our case studies.
- Our UK coverage is growing all the time. Here’s the percentage of the 3,111 UK postcode districts with a Vegware-approved trade waste collection:
- 2% back in 2012 when we started our Environmental team
- 25% in January, 27% in March, 38% in May 2019
- Now at 39% – 24th October 2019
What if my region isn’t on the list?
- Where there isn’t yet a regular collection, there are still composting options for used Vegware. We work with clients and local trade waste operators to set up new routes to composting – that’s how our coverage grows. There are also on-site composting machines which can work with our products.
- If you don’t have access to suitable composting, please put used Vegware in general waste. The benefits of choosing lower carbon, renewable or recycled materials apply no matter what happens to them after use. Incineration studies from NatureWorks show that their plant-based PLA produces more heat than newspaper, wood or food waste; also that it produces no volatile gases and leaves little residue. In landfill, studies show that compostable packaging is inert and does not give off methane.
UK regions with trade waste collections for used Vegware*
(Updated 24th October 2019)
- Bristol, Stroud, Cheltenham, Keynsham, Gloucester & region (Close the Loop – Vegware’s own collection)
- NEW 🙂 Cambridge
- Basingstoke, Guildford, Reading, Woking, Bracknell, Swindon, Oxford, Salisbury, Winchester
- Somerset (drinks waste only – hot & cold cups & lids)
- Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton, Telford, Shropshire, Staffs & parts of Powys
- Nottingham & Derby region
- NEW 🙂 Sheffield
- Leeds, York, Harrogate, Wetherby, Knaresborough & area – more info here
- Hull & surroundings
- Edinburgh, Glasgow, Central Belt, East Lothian including North Berwick, Haddington & Dunbar, Borders, Perth, Dundee & parts of Fife (Close the Loop – Vegware’s own collection)
- NEW 🙂 Oban, Fort William, Lochgilphead, Ayr, Inverclyde, Girvan, Stranraer (extended coverage of Close the Loop – Vegware’s own collection)
- Highlands of Scotland, Aberdeenshire
- Isle of Man (drinks waste only – hot & cold cups & lids)
- Most of Northern Ireland
If your company regularly produces skip-quantities of Vegware waste, email email@example.com – we may be able to help you find composting solutions in other regions too.
*Please note, these waste routes accept Vegware’s products, not other brands of disposables. These are routes set up in partnership with Vegware and approved by the waste collectors and facilities thanks to our Due Diligence Programme of certification, trials, and engagement to minimise contamination.
Republic of Ireland
Brown bins from householders and businesses go to composting and can include Vegware. Keen to compost?
If your business would like to compost your Vegware, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to help you.